Friday 30 May 2014

Ignorance is NOT always bliss

Those of you that follow me on Facebook will know that I got my most ignorant question yet with regards to my turners syndrome the other day ... 

The thing is I honestly didn't see any malice behind the question

Just curiosity and a misguided google search 

"If your chromosomes are xo dose that meen your a homaphrodite like are you transgender" 

Before everyone starts waving there lbgtq flags at me .. I have nothing , I repeat nothing. Against anybody that is a hermaphrodite or transgender 

But I am not ... 

I think the question points to a bigger problem though .. Why dose the girl asking the question have the ability to pick up such false information 

Everyone is an expert these days , everyone. 

False information to the kind of misguided judgments that I saw yesterday ... Not just about turners syndrome. About practically any condition known to man 

So here is the deal 

Unless you suffer with ts or are a fully qualified endocrinologist 

Do not post your medical opinion online 

Someone whose skin is not as thick as mine might have been upset 

C ya 
Love 
Lauren
Xx

2 comments:

  1. :) Hi!

    I also have TS.

    "If your chromosomes are xo dose that meen your a homaphrodite like are you transgender"

    The problem with the question is that the person is very confused: hermaphrodite means having ambiguous genitalia - which we surely don't have! - and transgender means one identifying as the opposite gender assigned to them - for example, a physically female person identifying as a man, or a physically male person identifying as a woman, which is also not the case. To sum it up: gender and sex are two different things.

    If one defines the sex by the anatomy, we are female, period. But... if one defines it by the genetic makeup - "men are XY and women XX", then we are in a totally different field - what are we, then?

    :) I hope everything is okay with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hay , the first thing I would say is Yep they where confused. Secondly I know some girls with ts don't like identifying with this term but I actuly feel the term "intersex" best explains the being genial without xx chromasomes. Thank you for your comment

      Delete